Sunday 24 August 2008

Old Fashioned Bread Pudding.

Not to be confused with Bread and Butter Pudding. I make this bread pudding with wholemeal/granary bread, the other with white. I buy a “in-house baked” loaves from Tesco and get Tesco to slice them, then freeze the bread when I get home so I usually end up with crusts or broken slices where someone has tried to prize the slices off without taking the bread from the freezer properly!
Work on about one pound of bread to 1 pint of milk. Soak the bread in the milk for about an hour, then beat well, add one/two eggs, 2 tablespoons of sugar and about half pound of dried fruit, two good teaspoons of mix spice. The mixture is quite sloppy at this point. Grease a large tin, this where you have to judge for yourself how much mixture you have! Pour mixture into the tin and cook about and hour on 180 degrees gas 4 until cooked, test with a skewer, if it comes out clean it is cooked. Leave to cool. Eat warm with custard, or cold for lunch boxes/snacks.

2 comments:

  1. That's interesting - my old favourite passed down from my grandmother is almost the same as this but bread soaked in water not milk, then squeezed out before mixing in the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourites too! Perhaps it's because my grandmother used to make it but I think she sprinkled sugar on the top, which made it crunchy.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love reading them and I read every single one!