Tuesday 9 February 2010

299 squares later!

Just before Christmas my friend Denise and I went round the local charity shops. As she was buying herself an Astrakhan coat - which Denise spent the winter in we watched two ladies investigate some material, when they decided it was not for them we grab it, didn't um and ah about it, we bought it!

Not thinking what we were going to do with it, we bought it home and over a cuppa we set about cutting it in half. We decided it would be a shame to just cut it for the sake of cutting for cushion covers and the like. Then Denise said she wouldn't mind a couple of quilts for her daughters. Well Christmas and the snow came and went and I text Denise that I would start one quilt, she asked if I could complete it before half term because she would be visiting her daughter at Cambridge University.

I folded one of the halves of the material into two and laid it on the bed, with the amount that was hanging over the bed I refolded it only to find there was enough material for three quilts each! I had already purchased the Dark Brown material to edge it with and the wadding and sheeting for the backing I set about making a quit with one third of the material.
As Denise had left the whole thing to me, I decided the best thing to do was to quilt each coloured square. It took me from Thursday 4th February to today to make it, quilt it, hand sew the handmade bias and put the finishing touches, embroidering Hannah's name on the back. Can I put this in as one of my 20 minuters? I'm a bit like a dog with a bone I have to finish it especially as I promised it for someone! One of my other quilts is here if you wish to have a look, one day I will put the first quilt I ever made about fifteen years ago.

9 comments:

  1. It looks great! A lot of work in a short time! I used to make quilts too & still have 3 that are well over 20 years old & still going strong.

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...what a task! You put me to shame as I have patchwork on my list but keep putting it off!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fantastic! What a great idea, as you say it would have been a shame to cut it up. Quilting is such a skill!

    Take care
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, the colours are just beautiful! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow!! what a find i love the colours you have made an amazing job of it!! you lucky thing- i love a bargain. i was telling my twinny the other day how we grab things and investigate later after we've bought it hehe xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fab! You've worked so hard, hand quilting all of those squares. I'm glad you showed us as I was thinking about hand quilting each of my hexes in my quilt, but was a bit dubious about doing it.

    Now I've seen yours I feel inspired. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That didn't take long - what a lovely quilt!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word that's a fantastic bargain and a beautiful result Julie.
    Biscuit recipe you asked for
    http://itsacreativeworld.typepad.com/its_a_creative_world/2010/02/jammy-hearts.html
    E
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's stunning and gorgeous. And what a great find with the fabric squares.
    ShoeboxSally

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love reading them and I read every single one!